Varun's Vagaries

One big Potpourri

Recent Posts

14.10.08

Traffic Signal

Posted by Varun

This happened while I was on my way to run an errand yesterday.Waiting for a traffic signal,I was approached by a girl,no more than 19-20 herself.She was carrying a little baby with with her,wailing at the top of it's voice.She said to me, "Sir,look at the poor kid,hasn't eaten for two days.Give me some alms so that the youngster can eat".

I could sense what was going on there,but something in that kid's wails made me pull out of my wallet a Rs.5 coin,which I handed to her.Strangely,the kid seemed to know what happened,and stopped it's howling.But the girl insisted,"Sir,there's nothing I can buy with this money,please give me some more".
I said,"But look,I stopped your baby's crying,isn't that enough for you?"

What she said next,surprised me even more.She said,"If that's what you want,sir,he'll cry again,when I go to the next car." I was shocked,and disgusted.Refused to give in to any more of her drama,and asked her to beat it.As I prepared to zoom away (my signal had turned green) I heard the same wail again,this time from the opposite side of the intersection.
Narrowing my eyes,I sped away,trying not to think about it.



So this is what they call 'steeling up your heart'.Doesn't feel nice.


... Stumble Upon Toolbar ...♦... ♦... ♦...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) ya?you lost 5 rupees for a valuable lesson...i guess the signal is still green over that part

Perky said...

I think it's even more disgusting that she used a child to manipulate the kindness in people's hearts...

irtiza said...

yeah, i know. the same thing happens here in bangladesh to. what can i say!!!!

Tom said...

I think they are being operated by syndicates.

deepti goud said...

i learn tis lesson every time but end up giving money al the time..... sad but true

Divya Sai said...

Well dis is a problem India was facing, is facing and will b facing for many years from now......this is a not an independent problem dat can b solved easily...& 1 single comment is ofcourse too short to provide a solution for this !

Fahmi Raazali said...

I like your story. Nowadays many people are manipulating others person. They use any method to get what they want. I felt sorry for the children.