Varun's Vagaries

One big Potpourri

Recent Posts

7.9.08

Entrecard:do you drop?

Posted by Varun

A continuation to my blog traffic sites posts,with a twist.

-----------------------Rant-------------------
People nowadays forget that networking sites are about finding new things,as much as getting traffic for your pages.For god's sake atleast take a look at the page when you are surfing through an affiliate site! People leave comments like "Hi! visit my blog!" and it pisses me off no end.Sure,advertise your blog in my shoutbox,but atleast have the decency to leave a comment if you liked my articles! I know I'm no saint,I did indulge in such stuff when i began,but a week into it I realized,some of these sites are really interesting!
-------------------------/rant----------------
Entrecard
I stumbled on to this site while blog-surfing.It's an ingenious idea.The site allows you to create a business card of your site.You must place a card dropbox on your site in return.Fellow site members can drop cards in your dropbox when they visit your site,and you can drop yours on to others.You get one entrecard credit (EC) when you drop your card on another blog and also one when someone drops their card in your box.Profit both ways :D .You can use your amassed EC's to purchase temporary/permanent ads for your page on other sites,and conversely earn more credits by allowing others' ads on your site.There are also bonuses such as coupons,etc.
Do join this site.I found it very useful,and a good traffic source.

the EC Firefox addon :
Now you can surf other EC-enabled blogs via this nice little addon.It optimizes the use of the extremely slow search function of the main site,gets you results faster,and you can visit more pages!

Do leave a comment to tell me if this site was useful
cheers
Varun


... Stumble Upon Toolbar ...♦... ♦... ♦...

8 comments:

Lynne said...

Excellent points! A pet peeve of mine is when people add you as a "friend" at a social network and then bombard you with emails when they create a new post! They don't even have the decency to come by my site, they just send me a note through the social network saying "come visit".

Silver Canyons said...

Couldn't agree with you more!
Have the fun is discovering new articles!
Glad I found yours :)

Chris said...

AMEN! Excellent points in your rant. I get bombed as well from half the people on my Blog Catalog friends list when they write a new post. I don't mind reading the posts, but sometimes it's nice to have it returned. Sometimes the topics don't even interest me, but I give 'em all a chance and read at least once. And I rarely see anyone on friend's lists visiting my blogs. Yep, it's sad. And I hate to be like "OK, well if you're not going to visit me then I will stop visiting too"... because that's just putting more selfish ignorance out there.
And yeah, I don't mind people promoting their blog in my Shoutbox, but at least have something nice to say, something that just might convince someone else to visit. I mean, after all, they are promoting on MY shoutbox, right.
I totally agree with every word. And by the way: I DO truly like your blog, so you have a new reader. Nice stuff... keep it coming!

Muckbeast said...

I really don't understand it. You can pretty much read the first post or two while waiting for a site to load in order to click their card anyway. If something is interesting, just make a comment. It isn't that tough.

So this Firefox plugin, what does it do? Man, I'd love a plugin that would automatically click the card when I visit an Entrecard site. Some people put them in crazy places.

-Cambios
Blogging about Online Gaming and Virtual Worlds:
http://www.muckbeast.com

Menoedh said...

You're wasting your breath ranting about people who just come and drop their sh*t in the comment area. Just ignore 'em...

I use entre card too..and I ALWAYS put comment when I dropped my card. But ONLY on blog that I like...

thanks for visiting my blog =)

Shantharam Shenoy K said...

spot on mate...yup there are quite a lot of ppl who jus coment "pls visit mine"...it really pisses me off too...

by the way, Entrecard is really cool, i see it in almost every blog tht i have been..so its nice...

good morning and have a nice day...

*lynne* said...

I'm still a relative newbie to EC: I joined to find new blogs to read first and foremost, so I make it a point to try and comment when&where I have something to add. So yeah, I so actually read the entries :) On the receiving end, I've seen the drops on my blog rise to almost 300 now, yay! And some actually leave comments - bonus :) Would be nice if more commented - I think the onus is on me to write about stuff in such a way that invites comments ...

Anonymous said...

There's a FireFox addon? Had no clue!